Well, where do I start! June has been a month of big learning curves!!
It all started off quite well with lots of little plants planted out in the raised beds, this included cosmos and gypsophilia, scabiosa and calendula. We have been a little behind this year due to only getting the plot up and running in April, but we soldiered on and hoped for the best.
The gypsophila in the polytunnel had been doing tremendously with an abundance of flowers, even though it had been pretty toasty in there. We wanted to plant some of the gypsophilia out in the beds too to see how it faired outside in the elements too.
Our cosmos had also been coming along nicely, we had a pretty variety called 'daydream'.
But then.....one morning whilst checking on our plants we found that we had had a little furry visitor in the night!! Little Peter rabbit had munched his way through about 3 trays of potted cosmos, all the cosmos in the raised beds...totally stripped the gypsophilia and finished off by munching half the scabiosa!! It was not a pretty sight...believe me. All our hard work gone...and into the belly of a rather gutsy rabbit!
So, as you can imagine the next few days consisted of rabbit proofing all the beds and reinforcing our fencing around the outside of the plot to ensure he wouldn't be visiting again.
We have since sown, grown on and planted out some more cosmos and gypsophilia (fully caged) and we are hoping that we may(at least) get a few flowers from these this year.
But....it didn't stop there!!
Next we were confronted with the weather. Torrential down pours and gusty winds left a lot of our cornflowers flattened. Seedlings without enough cover were washed out of their trays and petals were shattered from the anemones.
Crikey...we were thinking. This is pretty tricky business!
So, again we had to think up solutions to the potential issues. Hence, a few days later we had made a protective shelter for our seedlings (with enough light and air flow) and we had staked all our taller, bushier flowers.
Anyway, apart from all the drama we did have a success story.
Our nigella was looking amazing!! We had sown this freely in the polytunnel, and although it had got pretty hot in there on a few occasions they seemed to love it and it's been a total success.
Most of our sunflowers are coming along too, although we did lose a few through rot (due to the high amounts of rain).
Overall, although there's been quite a few 'down moments' this month we also feel that we're much more clued up for next year.